117 Interesting and Influential Family Members
From 1945 to the Present
1016-1840 1840-1900 1900-1945 1945-Present
Surname Family Tree Diagrams
Surname Facts Historical Statistics Recent Statistics
Famous Family Members to 1840 to 1900 to 1945 to Present
Family Trees: Chaffe, Chaffey, Chaffee, Chafy, Chafe
Chaffe/Chaffey Lineage in England from 1016 Chaffee/Chafee Lineage in America from 1637 Chafe Lineage in Canada from 1705
Chaff - 2
Chafy - 2
Chafe - 25
Chaffe - 4
Chafey - 1
Chafee - 5
Chaffey - 28
Chaffee - 39
Chaif - 1
Shared - 10
Suzy Chaffee: (1946- ) Born in Rutland, Vermont. Suzy's great grandfather was George Thrall Chaffee. She was America’s top downhill skier at the 1968 Grenoble Olympics. An inventor of ski ballet and became a 3 times World Freestyle Champion. Introduced on Johnny Carson’s Tonight Show, she raised $1 million to start a national women’s division. Chaffee was offered her own TV show in 1977 but it failed to materilize. She developed the Whole Life exercises and was the creator of a unique Body/MInd Consciousness. She hosted CBS-TV's "Challenge of the Sexes". She is honored in the Ski Hall of Fame for being a Champion of Alpine, Freestyle and Sport Builder. She was the first woman to serve on the board of the US Olympic Committee, as well as the President’s Council on Fitness for four Presidents. While skiing and working with President Ford on a bill to streamline Olympic Sports in America, his ad man Jim Jordan, was so inspired with Chaffee’s idealism, that he dreamed up the "Suzy Chapstick" lip balm commercial. Co-founding the Native Voices Foundation. President Clinton wrote, "You are inspiring interracial harmony in America."
Antonia Margaret Chaffey: (1948- ) Born in Crystal Brook, Flinders Ranges, in South Australia and the great granddaughter of William Benjamin Chaffey (1856-1926). Antonia received her Diploma of Fine Art at SA School of Art and majored in painting and printmaking. She travelled to the Middle East in 1991 after the Gulf War to work on an archaeological dig in Northern Syria. She then travelled to Jordan and Egypt. Deserts became a major source of her inspiration and upon her return to Australia she began field trips to the deserts of the Mallee and Lake Mungo. She began a series of paintings and works on paper reflecting these landscapes. She developed the "Garden Story" trilogy over the following three years reflecting on desert landscapes, showing the interaction between the earth, water, stone and indigenous plants. She received a grant from Arts Victoria and major sponsorship from the City of Mildura to create the Commemorative Sculpture garden located near the Old Mildura Homestead and now part of the Chaffey Trail (34.1674ºS 142.1602ºE). The garden incorporates indigenous flora, a central granite sculpture, plus granite seat with the inscription “Memento Matrem”, Latin for “Remember the Mother”, inscribed in its face, and a granite plaque. It is dedicated to the mothers, wives and children of the founding Chaffey brothers. Antonia was a contributor for Susan Chaffey's A Chaffey Family, which extensively covers the history of the Chaffey family in England, Canada, United States, Australia and New Zealand.
Dr. Christopher David Chafe: (1952- ) Born in Berne, Switzerland and son of Dr. Wallace L. Chafe. BA - Music, Antioch College 1974; MA - Music Composition, University of California, San Diego 1977; DMA - Music Composition, Stanford University 1983. Chris is a cellist and composer. As a researcher at the Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique/Musique (IRCAM - Paris 1984), he developed methods for computer sound synthesis based on physical models of musical instrument mechanics. He served as Chair of the Department of Music at Stanford from 1994-97. He has won numerous awards for music composition. Chris has written extensively in technical publications on the digital properties of music, the use of computers to aid in music composition and performance, and how to improve digital sound quality over the internet. He is a professor and director of Stanford’s Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics.
Lincoln Davenport Chafee: (1953- ) Born in Providence Rhode Island. Lincoln earned a degree in Classics from Brown University in 1975, and later attended the Montana State University horseshoeing school in Bozeman. For the next seven years he worked as a blacksmith at harness racetracks in the United States and Canada. In 1983 he started working in manufacturing management. His political career began in 1985, when he was elected a delegate to the Rhode Island Constitutional Convention. He was then elected on the Warwick City Council, later elected Mayor of the City of Warwick and re-elected in 1994, 1996, and 1998. He was appointed by the Governor of Rhode Island to fill the un-expired term of his father, the late Senator John H. Chafee, in November 1999. In 2000, Senator Chafee was elected to a six-year term in the United States Senate. He is a member of the Committee on Environment and Public Works, Chairman of the Superfund Subcommittee, member of the Committee on Foreign Relations, Chairman of the Subcommittee on Near Eastern and South Asian Affairs and a member of the Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs.
Glenn Earl Chafe: (1956- ) Born in Montreal and grew up in Greenfield Park, Quebec. Glenn graduated in 1980 with a degree in Civil Engineering from McGill University. He started work with Canadian National Railroad in 1981. In 1985 he assisted in the building of two track geometry vehicles (TEST Cars), that used computer technology to measure track alignment, curvature and gauge in real time. At the time, these vehicles were leading the railway industry in this form of inspection technology. In 1987 he was the Project Manager responsible to mount light-scanner imaging systems (ORIAN) on the TEST cars, designed to measure rail wear - the first in the industry. In 1993 he managed computer professionals in the CAD/GIS, Operations Research and computer modeling, allowing the company to see information using advanced graphical and analytical software. In 1999 he managed a team in converting a large section of CN's computer code to be Year 2000 compliant. In 2001 he started migrating the complex computer systems for CN's Engineering department into SAP, a large enterprise management software. Glenn is an avid hockey and tennis player. He is author of this website covering the lineage of the Chaffe, Chaffey, Chafe and Chaffee surnames.
John Chaffey: (1963?- ) A former child actor who was featured in many television ads as well as with Peter Sellers in the movie The Optimists of Nine Elms (1973). Chaffey is now one of the UK's top osteopaths. He did not act in any major films after the film. Liz (Donna Mullane) and Mark (John Chaffey) are a pair of poor children trying to get by on the streets of London. In their travels, Liz and Mark get to know Sam (Sellers), a one-time music hall performer who performed for change with his dog on streetcorners. Sam takes the youngsters under his wing and helps remind them of the simply joys of living that they've forgotten in their hardscrabble lives. The movie score was written by George Martin, best known for producing The Beatles' recordings.
Dr. Dave Chaffey: (1963- ) David's father, John Chaffey was born in Christchurch, Dorset. John was a geography and geology teacher, and has written a number of geography books on Devon, Britain and the world. John is now retired to Corfe Castle, Dorset. After gaining his BSC and PhD, Dr. Dave Chaffey worked on corporate software projects for UK companies WH Smith, Northwest Water, and Ford Europe. He was senior lecturer in Business Information Systems in the School of Business at the University of Derby from 1988-95. He was a trainer and on the development team for e-marketing courses for the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) since 1997. His consultancy work in e-marketing includes developing and refining e-marketing plans; developing intelligence systems; and advising on techniques and agencies. Chaffey’s books include Internet Marketing: Strategy; Implementation and Practice (2000, updated 2002); E-business and E-commerce Management (2001); eMarketing Excellence (2001) and Total E-mail Marketing (2002, updated 2003). He also writes the e-marketing column for What’s New in Marketing, a monthly e-newsletter. John now lives in Derby in the midlands of the UK.
Ross Henry Chafe: (1964- ) Born in Montreal and raised in Greenfield Park, Quebec. Ross earned his Bachelor of Commerce at McGill University; his Graduate Studies at the London Business School (UK); and his MBA Ivey School, at the University of Western Ontario. He represented Canada on the men's road bicycling team at the Commonwealth (Edinburgh 1986) and Pan-Am Games. He married Dr. Lizanne Bussieres who represented Canada as a marathon runner at the Summer Olympics (Seoul 1988, Barcelona 1992), the Pan-Am Games and Commonwealth Games (Edinburgh 1986, Victoria 1994 - Silver). Ross is the Managing Director of Canada's largest flag manufacturing company - Flags Unlimited located in Barrie Ontario. He and his family are now residing in the village of Saint-Jeannet, Provence, 10 km north of Nice, France.
USS Chafee DDG-90: (2002- ) Arleigh Burke Class Aegis Guided Missile Destroyer. The Chaffee is named after John Hubbard Chafee of Providence, RI, (1922-1999). The Chaffee is the 40th ship in her class and was launched in October 2002 at the Bath Iron Works, Maine. Crew of 380. 511 feet long with a speed 30+ knots. DDG class ships were the first in the U.S. Navy designed to incorporate shaping techniques to eliminate radar cross-section to reduce their detectability and likelihood of being targeted by enemy weapons and sensors. The Chaffee's homeport is Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
Chaffee.com - Chaffee Interactive, Chicago, IL.
Chaffe.com - Chaffe, McCall, Phillips, Toler and Sarpy, New Orleans, LA.
Chaffey.com - Chaffey Federal Credit Union, Ontario, CA.
Chafee.com - vacant
Chafe.com - vacant
Chaffey.org - Chaffey High School, Ontario, CA
Chaffey.edu - Chaffey College, Ontario, CA
Chafe.ca - Chafe's Flooring & Furniture, Port Hawkesbury, NS.
Chaffey.net - Chaffey County, CO.
Chaffeehistory.com - Chaffee Historical Society, Chaffee, MO.
Number of Website Hits :
Nov 2005 Yahoo MSN Yahoo MSN Chaffee 755,000 415,000 515,725 1,870,000 3,080,000 470,424 Chaff 615,000 593,000 462,002 1,760,000 2,830,000 462,726 Chafee 370,000 309,000 63,187 1,330,000 1,270,000 64,044 Chafe 280,000 188,000 162,867 921,000 1,090,000 165,685 Chaffey 244,000 110,000 103,746 819,000 872,000 102,090 Chaffe 33,700 25,400 20,567 99,900 136,000 23,588 Chaf 31,100 21,000 28,855 161,000 158,000 23,269 Chaif 11,600 25,800 18,546 30,700 40,600 6,535 Chafy 1,190 577 1,416 690 902 982
Chaffee, William H. - Telescopes for distance, #US34897, 1862
Chaffee, Russel - Stable gutter and scraper, #CA207087, 1921
Chaffee, Edward F. - Window sash, #CA403500, 1942
Chaffee, Randolph W. - Plastic composition, #CA434126, 1946
Chaffee, Joseph Gay - Radiant energy distance determining system, #CA455078, 1949
Chaffey, Reginald H. - Silencers and air intake silencers, #CA516382, 1955
Chaffee, Walter C. - Cutting depth control device, #CA579055, 1959
Chaffee, Arthur W. - Combination tape dispenser and removable label moistener, #CA637979, 1962
Chaffey, Stephen J. - Polishing and like apparatus suitable for operating on the bores of tubes or on other articles, #CA656192, 1963
Chaffee, Emory L. - Flame photometers, #CA759220, 1967
Chaffee, Roger H. - Filling machine for comminuted materials, #CA806014, 1969
Chaffee, Mack R. - Chip insertion, #CA911953, 1972
Chaffee, William H. - Method of providing ball ends on guitar strings, #CA995940, 1976
Chaffee, Donald L. - Multi-carrier high speed modem, #CA2014354, 1990
Chaffee, Edwin G. - Method for assembly of laser mirrors, #US04892497, 1990
Chaffee, Roger G. - High voltage insulator, #CA2046682, 1991
Chaffee, Daniel - Thermoformable laminate material and method of making the same, #CA2046131, 1991
Chaffee, Alan L. - Process for improving the quality of upgraded brown coal, #CA1281185, 1991
Chaffee, Paul H. - Cross phase modulation in an optical fiber, #US5015054, 1991
Chaffee, Linda - Multi-cycle refastenable tape closure systems, #CA2115362, 1992
Chaffee, Bradley - Encapsulated branched coolant hose, #CA1308044, 1992
Chaffee, Robert B. - Pneumatic support system Aero Bed, #US5367726, 1994
Chaffee, Janice M. - Method for asynchronous application communication, #US876889, 1994
Chaffee, Eleanor - Tabular grain silver iodobromide emulsion of improved sensitivity and process for its preparation, #US5358840, 1994
Chaffey, Paul M. - Chord-operated switch assembly, #GB9823107.9, 1998
Chaffee, Alexander Day - Access control Eric Victor Siegel protocol for user profile management, #US9/808911, 2001
Chaffee, Nancy B. - Pocket towel, #AU2002365967, 2002
Chafe, Steven - Method and apparatus for sharing mobile user event information between wireless networks and fixed IP networks, #AU2002330223, 2002
Chaffee, Stuart - 2-amino-4-heteroarylaminopyrimidine derivatives for use in the treatment of cancer, #CA2458011, 2002
Chafe, Paul C. - Wind turbine with inlet cells, #CA2418082, 2003
Chaffey, Ian - Tabeze tea holder, #AU2002952960, 2003
Chaffey, Rosalind - Hand-held UV protection sun umbrella, #AU2003100879, 2003
Chaffey, Luke - Recreation board, #AU2003902596, 2003
Chafe, Christopher D. - Distributed acoustic reverberation for audio collaboration, #US20040205204, 2004
Chaffee/Chaffey Counties, Cities and Streets:
- Chaffcombe, Somerset (50.8871ºN 2.919ºW).
- Chaffee County is located on the eastern slope of the Rocky Mountains in central Colorado and was named in 1879 after Jerome Chaffee. The county's total population (2004) is 16,936 and the county seat is Salida (38.5378ºN 105.9985ºW). The Chaffee County Courthouse is located at 104 Crestone Avenue, Salida. The actual state boundary of the intersection of Nebraska-Wyoming-Colorado state (41ºN 104.05ºW) was fixed by Oliver Newberry Chaffee in 1869.
- Chaffey Township in Ontario's Muskoka District is located north of the town of Huntsville (45.3204ºN 79.22ºW) and was named by Stephen Richards, Commissioner of Ontario Crown Lands, in honour of his brother-in-law, Benjamin Chaffey Jr.
- Chaffey Mills and Chaffey Locks (44.578ºN 76.319ºW) are located in Ontario.
- Chaffey Electoral District for the South Australian Government and covers 14,861 sq km (5740 sq miles).
- The City of Chaffee, Missouri (37.18ºN 89.655ºW) was founded in 1905 and based on the Chaffee Real Estate Company in St. Louis that was involved in the land purchase.
- Other US train stations/towns/cities that are called Chaffee are located in New York (42.5673ºN 78.4794ºW), Pennsylvania (41.5808ºN 78.9346ºW), North Dakota (46.7748ºN 97.3543ºW), Washington (46.2608ºN 119.6069ºW), California (39.406ºN 79.163ºW) and West Virginia (39.406ºN 79.163ºW).
- Chaffee Corners, Pennsylvania (41.8714ºN 76.1931ºW).
- Chaffee Village, Fort Hood, Texas (31.1307ºN 97.7624ºW).
- Chaffee Ranch, South Dakota (44.5908ºN 102.8855ºW).
- Chaffeeville, Connecticut (41.7953ºN 72.2087ºW).
- The town of Chaffey and Chaffey/Foxboro Road is located in Wisconsin (46.406ºN 92.1668ºW) and was named after George Chaffey circa 1900.
- The George Chaffey Bridge was built in 1981, is two lanes wide, 321 m (1050 foot), 9 span concrete bridge across the Murray River on the Sturt Highway, Mildura (34.1831ºS 142.1738ºE). Nearby is Chaffey Avenue (34.18ºS 142.157ºE). The Chaffey Trail is located in Mildura, 45km long, and tours many of the sites built by the Chaffey brothers; the Old Mildura Homestead, Rio Vista, Mildura Lock and Weir Locks, Mildura Wharf, the Mildura Grand Hotel Resort, Psyche Bend Pumping Station, Big Lizzie and Mildura Wines.
- Camp Chaffee Road (34.3629ºN 119.3174ºW) was named after Walter Scott Chaffee, the first mayor of Ventura, CA.
- Chafe Avenue, Shea Heights, St. John's, NF (47.5449ºN 52.7113ºW); Chafe's Lane, St. John's NF (47.5102ºN 52.7618ºW).
- Chaffey Streets/Roads/Avenues: Welland ON (42.9733ºN 79.2444ºW); Brockville, ON (44.5933ºN 75.6981ºW); Huntsville ON (45.3298ºN 79.2119ºW); Burnaby, BC (49.2354ºN 123.0074ºW); Randallstown, MD (39.3757ºN 76.7811ºW); Lexington, KY (37.9551ºN 84.4815ºW); McLaren Vale, SA (35.1754ºS 138.5528ºE); Chaffey Street, Thomastown, VI (37.6905ºS 145.005ºE); Wynn Vale, Adelaide, SA (34.8037ºS 138.6984ºE); Chaffey Ave, Mildura, VI; Chaffey Lane, Mildura, VI (34.1822ºS 142.1545ºE), Chaffey Drive, Chaffey Street, Gladstone, Tasmania (40.9583ºS 148.0089ºE). Chaffey's Lock Road is located on Road, Route #9, Ontario (44.5818ºN 76.3162ºW). Chaffey Street (34.1681ºS 142.0718ºE) and Chaffey Park Drive (34.166ºS 142.0637ºE) are located in Merbein, VI.
- Chaffee Streets/Roads/Avenues: Talladega, AL (33.4305ºN 86.088ºW); Ventura, CA (34.2851ºN 119.2114ºW); Upland CA (34.0941ºN 117.63ºW); Chaffee Station, near Mojave, CA (35.0678ºN 118.1705ºW); Southington, CT (41.6368ºN 72.873ºW); Titusville, FL (28.5259ºN 80.8176ºW); Jacksonville, FL (30.2936ºN 81.8486ºW), (30.2738ºN 81.8479ºW) and (30.293ºN 81.848ºW); Des Moines, IA (41.5213ºN 93.616ºW); Hiawatha, IA (42.0421ºN 91.6727ºW); Fort Knox, KT (37.8949ºN 85.9549ºW); New Bedford, MA (41.6939ºN 70.9401ºW); Waltham, MA (42.3781ºN 71.2141ºW); Grand Rapids, MI (42.8914ºN 85.6528ºW); St. Louis, MO (38.7044ºN 90.4368ºW); Amenia, ND (47.0043ºN 97.2208ºW); Amherst, NY (43.0187ºN 78.8207ºW); Yates, NY (43.3694ºN 78.453ºW); Harpursville, NY (42.1633ºN 75.6362ºW); Albertson, NY (40.7683ºN 73.6513ºW), Bronx, NY (40.814ºN 73.809ºW); Syracuse, NY (42.9976ºN 76.1567ºW); Chaffee Curriers Road, Springville, NY (42.5725ºN 78.4781ºW), Chaffee Road-State Road 23, Ridgewood, NY now called 64th Street (40.7038ºN 73.8936ºW); Oxford, MA (42.1329ºN 71.8691ºW); Sagamore Hills, OH (41.3344ºN 81.5782ºW); Uniontown, PA (39.8982ºN 79.7041ºW); Providence, RI (41.819ºN 71.4452ºW); Rumford, RI (41.838ºN 71.3513ºW); Aiken, SC (33.563ºN 81.7294ºW); Fort Campbell, TN (36.6435ºN 87.4423ºW); Brunswick, TN (35.2657ºN 89.7737ºW); Fairfax, VT (44.6564ºN 72.9754ºW); Oconomowoc, WI (43.1146ºN 88.5193ºW).
- Chafee Road, Kingston, RI (41.481ºN 71.5289ºW); Chafee Avenue, Augusta, GA (33.4733ºN 81.9925ºW); Leesville, LA (31.0756ºN 93.2029ºW).
- Chaffeeville Road (41.7956ºN 72.2088ºW) leads to Chaffeeville, CT.
- The following "Chaff" streets are located in England: Chaffeymoor Hill, Bourton, Dorset (51.0725ºN 2.3446ºW); Chaffey Close, Ringwood, Hampshire (50.8495ºN 1.7685ºW); Chaffes Lane, Upchurch, Sittingbourne, Kent; Chaffcombe, Copplestone, Crediton, Devon; Chaffcombe Road, Chard, Somerset (50.889ºN 2.926ºW); Chaffcombe Road, Birmingham (52.4622ºN 1.7754ºW); Chafeys Avenue, Weymouth, Dorset (50.6207ºN 2.4739ºW). Chaffhay Farm is located in Devon near Axminister, 12 km (8 miles) south west of Chaffcombe near the Yarty River (50.8563ºN 3.0649ºW).
- Chaff Lane and Close, Whiston, Rotherham, South Yorkshire was named after the adjacent "Tithe Barn" (53.4054ºN 1.3286ºW), a communal threshing barn that had large doors in it to allow the chaff to blow away (c.1600).
Chaffee/Chaffey/Chafee Public Institutions:
- Loomis Chaffee School, 4 Batchelder Road, Windsor, Connecticut (41.844ºN° 72.6399ºW), was created in a merger between the Loomis Institute (1914) and the Chaffee School for Girls.
- The Roger B. Chaffee Planetarium is located at 272 Pearl Street NW, Grand Rapids, MI (42.9759ºN 85.6764ºW). Roger died at Cape Canerval, FL (28.5219ºN 80.5615ºW)
- The Chaffee Center for the Visual Arts is located at 16 South Main St., Rutland, Vermont (43.608ºN 72.972ºW) with the purpose of exhibiting the work of Vermont artists.
- Chaffee Parks are at 1550 West Rosecrans, Fullerton, CA, (33.8916ºN 117.9517ºW) is dedicated to Roger B. Chaffee as well as in Chaffee Park, Denver, CO (39.7765ºN 105.0106ºW)and Oconomowoc, WI (43.1145ºN 88.5173ºW).
- Chaffee Zoo is located at 894 West Belmont Avenue, Fresno, CA (36.753ºN 119.822ºW).
- The Chaffee-Burke Elementary School (49.2338ºN 123.006ºW) is located at 4404 Sardis Street and is named after pioneer Charles F. Chaffey, who built his family home in Burnaby, BC (c.1902).
- The John H. Chafee National Wildlife Refuge, (41.4531ºN 71.4508ºW) located near Wakefield, RI, is a 329 acre wildlife refuge of estuaries and tidal saltwater marshes that provides important habitat for wading birds, passerines, terns, gulls, ducks, plovers, sandpipers and rails. Their office is at 3679 D Old Post Road, Charlestown, RI. The John H. Chafee Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor (41.9997ºN 71.5167ºW) is a region of 250,000 acres between Worcester, MA and Providence, RI created to promote the area's cultural, historical, business and environmental assets. Their address is One Depot Square Woonsocket, RI.
- Victoria Gardens, Rancho Cucamonga is a large shopping complex with a George Chaffey building, a WB Chaffey Building, and the central Chaffey Town Square (34.1119ºN 117.5327ºW)
- Chaffey-Garcia house was sold to George Chaffey in 1881, was the cornerstone in the building of Etiwanda, was moved to its present location on 7150 Etiwanda Avenue, P.O. Box 363, Etiwanda, CA, 91739, in 1985, and is now a museum (34.124ºN 117.525ºW). The Chaffey-Isle House, built by George Chaffey for his mother and sister in 1883, is three doors up the street after being moved in 1998. The historic church between the two houses has a stained glass window dedicated to the Chaffeys. The Chaffey Joint Union High School District, in Ontario CA traces its beginnings to 1882 to founder George Chaffey and is located at 11 West Fifth Street, Ontario (34.0813ºN 117.6518ºW). Chaffey College (1883) located at 5885 Haven Avenue, Rancho Cucamonga, CA (34.1477ºN 117.5716ºW) also is tied to George's legacy. Chafey Adult School is located at 211 W 5th St Ontario (34.0814ºN 117.653ºW). Nearby is Chaffey High School (34.0804ºN 117.6519ºW) located at 1245 North Euclid Ave., Ontario, California. A statue of George Chaffey, sculpted by John Svenson was erected in 2005 and is located on the steps facing North Euclid Ave., centered between the Upland City Hall and the Upland Library at 460 N. Euclid Avenue, (34.0681ºN 117.6506ºW).
- Ruth L. Chaffee School is located at 160 Superior Avenue, Newington, (41.6828ºN 72.7149ºW)
- The Fort Chaffee Military Reservation (35.3093ºN 94.3236ºW), named after Major General Adna R. Chaffee Jr., is 100 square miles (71,359 acres) in area. In 2004, the U.S. Department of Defense Base Realignment and Closure Program allocated 7,000 acres of the Fort property for the Chaffee Crossing residential, commercial and industrial development. The nearby Chaffee Army Airfield is located south east of Fort Smith Municipal airport and appears to be no longer in use (35.3227ºN 94.2968ºW).
- The Old Chaffee County Courthouse (38.8429ºN 106.128ºW) was built in 1883, is located at 511 East Main, Buena Vista, CO and houses a Heritage Museum.
- The Bertrand Chaffee Hospital is an acute and long-term health care complex located at 224 East Main Street, Springville, NY (42.510ºN, 78.67ºW) and was founded in 1947 through a gift from Bertrand and Jennie B. Richmond Chaffee.
- Chaffee Creek State Fishery Area, is located in Wisconsin (43.9882ºN 89.5116ºW).
- Chaffey Secondary College (34.1961ºS 142.1482ºE) at 261-289 Deakin Avenue, and a statue to William Chaffey are located along Deakin Ave. at 9th St, Mildura, VI. Chaffey Park is a cricket ground in Merbein, Australia (34.1711ºS 142.079ºE). The Chaffey Theatre is located on Eighteenth Street, Renmark, SA (34.1781ºS 140.7426ºE). Rio Vista Mansion, former Chaffey family home, is located on the corner 199 Cureton Av. and Chaffey Av., Mildura (34.1775ºS 142.1606ºE). A monument to George Chaffey is located in the Ornametal Lakes Park, Mildura
- Edwards and Chaffey Wines are situated 7 km north of McLaren Vale township and 8 km from the Australian coast (35.1732ºS 138.5548ºE).
- Chaffee Cemetery is located is located in the north-west quadrant of the junction of Whitman Road and Old Country Road, Town of Lincoln, Madison County, NY (43.083ºN 75.767ºW) about 6 miles south of Canastota on the N. Fred Chaffee farm. There is also a Chaffee Cemetery in Westmoreland, NH (42.96ºN 72.44ºW) and near Brasher, NY (44.816ºN 74.684ºW). The Chaffee-Peck Cemetery is located on Chestnut Street in Seekonk, MA (41.8187ºN 71.3105ºW).
- Chafee Lot is a cemetery located near Greenwich Rhode Island (41.651ºN 71.441ºW) on the west side of Narragansett Bay from Barrington.
- The Chaffey-Fennessy House at 52 Chaffey Street in Welland, ON was built in 1913 (42.9733ºN 79.2444ºW).
- An historic Chafee House is located at 914 Milledge Road, Augusta, GA (33.4762ºN 82.013ºW)
Chaffee/Chaffey/Chaffe Physical Landmarks:
- Island Chaffee (33.7409ºN 118.1404ºW), is one of a number of artificial islands used for drilling oil, 0.25 km (0.15 miles) in diameter, located 1.6 km (1 mile) off Long Beach, CA. The island was named after Roger Bruce Chaffee in 1967. The island is also known as C-441.
- Chaffee Mountain (43.784ºN 73.0042ºW), elevation 780 m (2562 ft), is located 32 km (20 miles) north of Rutland, VT.
- Lake Chaffee (41.9392ºN 72.1946ºW) is a reservoir and recreational lake, 3.3 m (11 feet) deep, 0.5 km (0.3 miles) in diameter, 22 hectares (54 acres), located 40 km (25 miles) northeast of Hartford, CT.
- Chafe's Hill (47.5372ºN 53.2050ºW) is a predominant rock outcrop located in Brigus harbour, Newfoundland and named after schoolmaster Henry George Chafe (1860-1948) who had his residence nearby.
- Chaffey Dam and Reservoir (31.35ºS 151.133ºE) regulates the flow of the Peel River which flows into the Namoi river to the Darling River and then into the Murray River, 1000 km (621 miles) northeast of Mildura, supplying water for the town of Tamworth 44 km (27 miles) to the northeast of New South Wales. The reservoir is 542 hectares (1339 acres) in area, 2.5 km (1.6 miles) wide, 4.5 km (2.8 miles) long, with a maximum depth of 30 m (98 feet), at an elevation of 519 m (1700 feet) and was built in 1979.
- There are two Chaffee Brook's; Massachusetts (42.334ºN 72.369ºW) and Maine (44.524ºN 69.654ºW).
- There are two Chaffee Creek's; New York (42.304ºN 76.68ºW) and Wisconsin (43.948ºN 89.321ºW).
- There are two Chaffee Run's; Pennsylvania (41.934ºN 76.214ºW) and West Virginia (39.154ºN 79.436ºW).
- Chaffee Trail is located in West Virginia (38.708ºN 79.726ºW).
- Chaffee Gulch's occur in Colorado (38.2628ºN 107.7587ºW) and Wyoming (44.8002ºN 106.1592ºW).
- Chaffee Well (35.9712ºN 103.4419ºW) is located in New Mexico and Chaffe Ravine (44.054ºN 91.968ºW) in Minnesota.
- Chaffey's Point (42.9018ºS 147.3374ºE), now known as Wrest Point, is located 4 km south of Hobart, Tasmania.
- Chaffey's Point (46.2694ºN 62.4209ºW) is also located Prince Edward Island.
- Chaffey Stream (41.09ºS 172.540ºE) is located in Kahurangi National Park, South Island, New Zealand.
- Titaniferous magnetite iron was mined from until 1871 at Chaffey Mine located near Newboro Lake (44.6242ºN 76.3272ºW) on the Rideau Canal, ON. The first shipment of ore was transported down the Rideau to Kingston in 1858. Chaffey's Locks (44.578ºN 76.319ºW), Ontario connects Newboro Lake with Opinicon Lake.
Chaffee Lunar Landmarks: Apollo Crater is located on the far side of the moon and is more than 800 km (500 miles) across. Six craters in the crater area are named after astronauts; Apollo 8: Jim Lovell, Frank Borman and Bill Anders (the first humans to reach the moon) and Apollo 1, Ed White, Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee. Chaffee Crater was dedicated in 1970. The crater is 49 km (30 miles) across and located at 38.8ºS, 153.9ºW. Apollo Crater is of significant interest in moon research because it offers an opportunity to examine the stratigraphy of the lunar crust. On the basin floor and surrounding areas of the crater a number of rocks appear to be ejecta and underlying material from depths as great as 30 km (18 miles) deep inside the moon.
Chaffee Martian Landmarks: Chaffee Hill on Mars is located 14.3 km (8.9 miles) south-southwest, 199.6º azimuth, of the Mars Exploration Spirit landing site in the Gusev Crater (14.8ºS 184.8ºW). The hill was dedicated in 2004. Gusev Crater (Aeolis Region, Quadrangle MC23) is a 165 km (103 mile) wide crater that was likely formed three to four billion years ago when an asteroid crashed just south of Mars’ equator. To the south of Gusev Crater is the outflow of a valley/channel system called Ma'adim Vallis. Ma'adim Vallis snakes northward along the Martian landscape for more than 900 km (560 miles), 1.5 times longer than the Grand Canyon, and could have drained mud slurry, water or ice into the crater.
Non-Related Points of Interest
Though not related to the Chafe surname, there is a crater on Mars named after Chafe, Zamfara State, Nigeria (2004 population, 10,100, (11.953ºN 6.9221ºE). The crater was designated in 1988, is 4.8 kilometres in diameter and is located at 15.3ºN 257.7ºW, Amenthes Region, Quadrangle MC14.
Though likely unrelated to the Chafe surname, the small church/village of Junta de Freguesia de Chafé is located near the Atlantic coast 7km south of Viana do Castelo, Portugal (41.6515ºN 8.7996ºW), 59km north of Porto. The population in 2000 was 2490. Its coat of arms contains three red arrows. Newfoundland and Portuguese fishermen shared the same fishing grounds and visited each others harbours for many years in the 1700's.
The Chafarinas or Zapparines are a group of islands belonging to Spain off the north coast of Morocco, near the Algerian frontier, 2½ miles to the north of Cape del Agna, 3.5 km (2.17 mi) off the Moroccan town of Ra'su l-Ma' (35.1835ºN 2.4349ºW).
Star Trek: In the fictional Star Trek Deep Space Nine( DS9) series, the USS Chaffee is a Type-10 shuttlecraft for the USS Defiant spaceship NX-74205. Dimensions are overall length: 9.64 meters, overall beam: 5.82 meters. Crew complement: 4 persons. Velocity: cruising - warp factor 3, maximum - warp factor 5. Standard mission length: 1 week. Propulsion systems: warp - 2 LF-6 Advanced Compact Linear Warp Drive Units, impulse - 2 FIA Compact Subatomic Unified Energy Impulse Units. Weapons: 2 Type V Collimator Phaser Arrays, 2 Mk 25 Direct-Fire Photon/Quantum Torpedo Tubes. Primary computer system: M-15 Isolinear Ill processor based on a shortened version of the computer core utilized by the Danube-class runabout. Featured in Star Trek Deep Space Nine, season 6, The Sound of Her Voice episode #149. The Chaffee was destroyed in the Gamma Quadrant in 2376, when piloted by Ensign Prynn Tenmei, it crashed onto an unexplored planet. The Chaffee was named after astronaut Lt. Cmdr. Roger B. Chaffee. The USS Chafee, is a Federation Explorer Scout Intrepid-class Starship commanded by Jason Carmody. The ship was likely named after Rhode Island Governor, John H. Chafee. In the Original Star Trek (TOS) first season, (airdate January 26, 1967), Tomorrow is Yesterday episode #21, the day after this episode airs, the three Apollo astronauts; Grissom, White, and Chaffee were killed in a fire that swept through the Apollo Command Module during a pre-launch test. The episode involved Kirk and crew accidentally being warped back in time circa 1967 by a black star, stranded in orbit around Earth and trying to escape detection as a UFO by the US Air Force. This was the first of many time-travel Star Trek episodes.
1016-1840 1840-1900 1900-1945 1945-Present
April 20, 2020